Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Me want

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Participant

Get it, you know your worth it and we all need a little treat.

If I had the gear I would be your wingman.

I will, the 30% off preorder is a good deal, even if it’s still £40

Participant

£40 for one plane, wow. How much for the game?

The game is free, it comes with two maps, Cacasus that is a good map over Georgia and the black sea, it’s an old map now, but has gotten some updates, the other is the Marianas, the newest map released just a few weeks ago, mostly sea, made for carrier ops, it does have some very detailed islands like Guam and Tipan ect. You also get two planes, an low fidelity russian modern fighter(low fidelity means slightly less graphics, and simpler systems, and none clickable cockpit, the other is a none combat P51 high fidelity model, works just like the combat version but doesn’t have weapons.

The rest you got to buy, there is like 20 planes, 4 or 5 choppers, several maps, and a ton of campaigns, and some assets, a total of £2500 worth.
    Of modern planes, you have F16, F18, F14, F5, Mig 21, Mirage 2000, Harrier to name but a few, You have Hind and Huey copters and Apache is coming soon. Of ww2, you have P51 combat model, Spitfire, P47, Messerschmitt 109k, Two Fokker 190 models, and soon now the mosquito. all of these high-fidelity planes and copters are made based on the real plans of the aircraft, interviews of pilots, technicians, maintenance crews, and developers.
    They have 95 t0 100% the same systems as the real ones, all buttons, levers and switches can be used and do the correct things. A lot of time and money goes into doing these, each plane is a whole simulator in its own right.

You also have half a dozen maps, like one of southwest US, Parsia gulf, Syria(which has parts of Iraq, Trukey and the whole of Cyprus.

And WW2 specific you have The Channel map and the Normandie map.

Om top of that you have “assets” like the supper carrier, it costs about £20 and has deck crew, working lifts etc.
    As you can see here, I start up an F18 on the deck with the planes and crew doing their stuff, they direct you to the catapult etc. This is one of my all time biggest experiences in VR. Actually sitting there in the cockpit, with the sounds and sights.

And the WW2 asset packs that add www2 ground and air assets like tanks, planes AA, bunkers etc etc.
    So to do a WW2 thing, you need the plane, which is like £40 the WW2 asset pack, which is like £30, and one of the two WW2 maps, and you are set. you can download free missions and campaigns, make your own if you like or buy one of the ready campaigns(they are usually about £10-15) One I’m playing is a campaign based on Pire Closterman’s autobiography as a spitfire ace.
    Here I start up a Spitfire, take off and land,(not that easy)

You also have a pack called Flaming cliffs 3, it adds like 6 or 7 low fidelity planes like A10, F15, Su27 and Mig 29 etc, with missions and campaigns for like £20, so great beginner thing.

And if you get the game from DCS’s own store, you can try and module for free for 2 weeks. You can try two modules at a time, to test if you like.

And here is just some of the stuff, you can do in a modern F16 in the game.

Very complex systems.

Participant

A-4 Skyhawk vs. Mig 17 would be super interesting in this sort of setup.  Maybe a Bullpup missile strike against a bridge with AA and SAMs….

The ground crews doing their thing is amazing!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

A-4 Skyhawk vs. Mig 17 would be super interesting in this sort of setup. Maybe a Bullpup missile strike against a bridge with AA and SAMs…. The ground crews doing their thing is amazing!

There is  free mod skyhawk, since it’s a mod the physics isn’t really  very realistic etc.

And there is a 3rd party developer who is working on a mig 17. The 3rd party developers are a mixed back. One 3rd party developer made the F14 and is working on the Eurofighter.  These planes are very much the equal of the orignal creators, the F14 is considered one of the best planes made for the game. Other 3rd party developers are not that great.

Participant

I wonder if this could be used, in a weird way, for actual training.  Suddenly dudes in Iran are getting “sim time” for the Tomcats…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

training

It probably can, I know real pilots, both fighter, commercial and hobby fly it and and it does give a good feel, the major thing missing is physical feed back, like plane will tell you but is shaking etc when it’s on the limits etc. You’re not gonna get that unless you invest big bucks in 6 degree seats etc.

But for general operation and general flying yes. The planes are all unique based on the real thing. You can’t fly an F18 like a F14.

And stuff like flying straight up for more than 10 seconds in a spitfire will break it, just like the real thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.