Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Rampanthammer – 10mm WFB/Dragon Rampant mash-up

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nope, no shape requirements whatsoever!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)
    practising hobby eclecticism

Participant

While I wait for the reinforcements for the Empire I was able to prep a couple of units to start off the Nurgle side of the project.

The first is a unit of Chaos Warriors (Heavy Infantry, Aggressive):

12 chaos warriors
    These are from Magister Militum – Wasteland Evil Knights on Foot.  I’m aiming on getting the Commanders pack to get another musician and banner bearer to make up another unit with the rest of the pack I got from a fellow TWWer 🙂

I also received some sorcerer looking dudes – I decided to base these up as a single cabal which I’ll use as Elite Infantry (Wizardling):

3 sorcerers
    These are from the Fallen Elf Commanders pack and I think they’ll fit right in with their bones and skulls!

My next hobby fund period is fast approaching and I’m working out if I can manage to order the rest of the miniatures to ‘finish’ the army part of this project or not…

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Cool beans.

But at the same time, dirty Nurgle chaos scum.

Participant

Cool beans. But at the same time, dirty Nurgle chaos scum.

pretty much

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

Rampanthammer! What a great idea. I have a friend who wants to try Dragon Rampant and this seems like a great way to do it. I look forward to seeing more.

Participant

This is my third project in DR, it’s just so versatile! – my first was 28mm Halflings (Undead vs Shieldmaidens) then 15mm (Civilised Orcs vs Dark Wood Elves) and now this – but I blame Angel Barracks completely for this one

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

but I blame Angel Barracks completely for this one

😀

Keymaster

How close do you think DR comes to being able to capture the very unique and flavoursome aspects of the various WFB troop types.

I am thinking, Wardancers, Goblin Fanatics, Drunken Giants, Chaos Mutations etc?

Participant

I think it provides a good solid toolbox – I’m a homebrewer at heart so I’ll come up with and test any ideas for WFB specific flavouring as I go

Night Goblin Fanatics are a good case in point that I would cook something up for – especially as I’m eyeing the little fellas as a third army already!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

Oh and here’s a group shot of the Empire so far before I prime them!

Empire army

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Nice, I made the image larger.

What we got there?

(reminds me I need a HBVG)

Participant

Thanks! Posted it from my phone mid-prime

captain on horse

wizard

halberdiers

spearmen

greatswords

flagellants

crossbowmen (and halberd detachment)

handgunners (and halberd detachment)

pistoliers

’helblaster volley gun’

steam tank

War wagon

still waiting for a delivery from Pendraken – most of it is WW2 stuff but there’s the ‘final’ Empire units and their allies… from Kislev! (Exclusive reveal there! ;))

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

Haha. I can relate to you regarding having multiple projects for the same rules. My Warhammer projects are in 28mm, 15mm and now 10/12mm.

One more thing. Today I ordered a copy of Dragon Rampant – I blame you completely for this

After seeing your great little armies I couldn’t resist.

Participant

You can’t really go wrong with any of the Osprey ‘blue books’ – even the ones I won’t play can still give inspiration for rules or other projects

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

Well I may have gone ahead and ordered the rest of the Nurgle Chaos opponents for the Empire… knights, beastmen, demons and more (oh my!) and, if it works out how I hope, a little boost or two for the Empire too!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

ooooh a little boost?

Dwarven allies?

No wait, a halfling hot pot.

Participant

Looking good. It even looks like a WHFB army but isn’t…. DR is a great toolbox as you have mentioned. Looking forward to seeing these painted up. My Empire army (Warmaster) hails from Nordland. I’ve never really painted Yellow very well so I thought I would challenge myself.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

ooooh a little boost? Dwarven allies?

Nope – although they were in the running for a short while (no pun intended).  And not Halflings either (done two armies of those in 28mm so not sure I can face any more yet a while!)…

Looking good. It even looks like a WHFB army but isn’t…. DR is a great toolbox as you have mentioned. Looking forward to seeing these painted up. My Empire army (Warmaster) hails from Nordland. I’ve never really painted Yellow very well so I thought I would challenge myself.

Nice! Nordland is definitely under-represented!  In my quest to include as many of the provinces as possible in my Mordheim Hireling Agency I have this chap, Conrad Seeschutz, representing Nordland!

Conrad Seeschutz
    Forgive the non 10mm intrusion there but he’s one of my favourites and it seemed a good opportunity to show him off!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

That is nice brush work!

Participant

Laran miniatures do 10mm individual chaos warriors https://laranminiatures.bigcartel.com/product/infantry-evil-men

they look interesting a good find

Participant

That is nice brush work!

Cheers Ian!

Had a few parcels arrive today… so the Chaos side of the project will be able to get moving!

I’ve had a look through and can make a few more units than I was originally planning too, which is a bonus! (and will probably mean I need to look at the Empire stuff again to re-balance… might need to have a good think and look around!).

Anyway – got Humans, Daemons, Beasts and Dwarfs to get working on, so hopefully be able to make some progress (and have more to share here!) soon!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

He’s here!!

One big rancid boi courtesy of the very generous giveaway here!

a big rancid plague demon
    My only problem now is trying to paint the rest of the army to anything even remotely approaching the quality of this paint job!!

Thanks again for running the giveaway – he’ll be vomiting all over some poor Empire troops soon (well, no guarantees how soon, I’m a procrastinator extraordinaire…)

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

he does look good  think I will get a 3d printer once the summer is over

but still a little bit scared by the prospect

Participant

he does look good think I will get a 3d printer once the summer is over but still a little bit scared by the prospect

I definitely see the attraction… but I think I prefer other people printing things for me! Means the space a 3D printer would take is free for more miniatures

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

Almost done on the Empire side (bar their allies) – here’s a Mortar (from Pendraken’s Polish-Lithuanian range, but with Landsknecht crew) – in DR it’ll be Heavy Missiles:

mortar and crew
    I’ve also made up a couple of units of Knights (both the same so I’ve only photographed one!) – these are from Pendraken’s Late European Medieval range – in DR these will be Elite Riders (maybe with Level-Headed):

I quite like that this pack included some knights with warhammers – nice and easy choice for a leader/champion for the unit.  I intend to add a banner in each unit on one of the upright lances.  Just have to decide on which knightly orders to go for!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Keymaster

The lack of shields is a bummer.
    I wonder if that is a thing, my historical knights from Kallistra had no shields and I had to add them.

Having said that Knights of Reiksgaurd ?

Participant

I’m ok with no Shields – Dragon Rampant isn’t something for WYSIWYG gaming after all!

reiksguard are a classic that’s for sure… my favourite in yesteryear was Knights of Blazing Sun but they aren’t much known for being in the North of the Empire!

might just design a couple of orders of my own!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

ooooh do you have an actual location in mind?

Participant

ooooh do you have an actual location in mind?

it’s the areas that border Kislev (to justify adding them as allies!) – so Ostermark, Ostland. Not decided on specific breakdowns unit by unit yet though

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Cool I have a couple of units of Ersatzsolder from Ostland, spearmen.
    Simple rural soldiers and quite beardy being from up t’ north,

Participant

And now the final part of the Empire contingent of the ‘good guys’ – who I intend to use as an Elector Count (Elite Riders, Single Model Unit, Flying):

knight on a griffon
    The Griffon is from Alternative Armies HOT range – it’s the ‘Elf Hero on Griffen’ (without the Elf Hero).  The rider is a TB Lines Eastern Europe Heavy Knight with lance… with a head (and the lance forming the banner pole) from Pendraken’s Early 16th C. English/Scots mounted Men-at-Arms that I mistakenly ordered.  While the Griffon is quite large (well it is for 15mm) I think the Empire side needed something of a centrepiece to place it in a fantastical setting so I think I’ll just consider it a particularly fearsome example of its kind.

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Keymaster

oooooh that is pretty sweet, I may have to rob that idea.

Participant

What a great idea and the size looks spot on if you ask me.

Participant

Thanks both! I’m pretty happy with it – the worst part is the saddle, it’s too big really for 10mm, so I had to fill under the rider a bit. I’m happy enough though

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Keymaster

What a great idea and the size looks spot on if you ask me.

Agreed.

Participant

Test piece for the Kislev Bear Cavalry. So much filing. Trying to decide if it’s worth doing a full unit or not

Warrior on a bear

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

One word – Dremel. That will make the filing a doddle. Be careful as it can get hot quickly.

Participant

Don’t think I can justify a Dremel for five more bears

Maybe I’ll do one a day or something!

Alex (Does Hobby Stuff)

Participant

It’s worth doing a full unit.

They look ace!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.