Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Stroezie's Barbarian Adventure(Snake&crypt)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Stunning, it looks good before but now it’s fantastic!

Did you free-hand the details along the sides or do you have some nice stencils for that?

Participant

Did you free-hand the details along the sides or do you have some nice stencils for that?

Ha ha,

I wish, that would mean I was organised enough to have bought stencils beforehand.

No, as usual it was a spur of the moment thing, I just painted it on by hand.

Of course halfway through it I really regretted that decision, not in the end though.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

I started laying down the hull for my next ship, she’s going to look a little different

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

That’s an impressive start to the second ship, the cargo grating is a nice touch.

Who will this ship belong to, pray tell?

Participant

Thanks Alexander, this will be a ship for the Red Brotherhood pirates of the Vilayet sea. It a cross between a felucca and a sloop. I envision her as a pleasure craft that used to belong to a Turanian noble before she was “liberated” by the pirates.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

And here she is, my second ship,

I tried to go for a slightly more mediterranean look like a dhow or felucca.

This is going to be a pirate ship, a sleek fast moving vessel, perfect for chasing down fat merchants. I envission her as a Turanian noble man’s pleasure craft “liberated” by the red brotherhood.

Here’s a side by side shot with my previous build so you can compare.

I also recieved the first of my pirate crew which you can see on her deck.

A name for this ship?

Should be obvious: “Grifon!”

Just a little cleaning up to do here and there and then it’s on to the painting !

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Keymaster

I don’t have the words without swearing. ..

Participant

Absolute beauty, even without any paint on her!

The grifon was a nice touch 🙂

That is bonkers good.
    What is the plan, lots of island hopping with ancient races in eldritch temples?
    Boarding action and sail sliding (down them with a knife)?
    Far off climes and searching for lost treasures?

It will be epic…

Though you will need to build jagged rocks, islands, beeches and all that?

Again, have to say it, again.
    That is bonkers good.

Participant

What is the plan, lots of island hopping with ancient races in eldritch temples? Boarding action and sail sliding (down them with a knife)? Far off climes and searching for lost treasures?

Yeah basically all of that and more😎

I’ve been ogling Ghost Archipelago with an eye to modding it for conan( changing the encounter tables etc.) but I’m not giving up on CROM yet.

Though you will need to build jagged rocks, islands, beeches and all that?

Would you believe I only realised that about halfway through building the second ship?😋

Oh well, a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do I guess.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

By Crom and Mitra these are good – throw in a galley for Belit and you are good to go! – some really stunning ideas and work on show here – can’t wait to see more.

Participant

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the launch of Conan’s new ship “GRYPHON”

Really happy with how her figurehead came out

And her name proudly displayed on her stern.

I’ve also recieved the rest of the pirates I ordered so I guess I’ll have to paint up some crew for captain Conan first 

Then it’s on to the small boats.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Thanks for showing us that, it is brilliant.
    It really is very very cool.
    BUT
    Also curse you, I have just ordered 1000 wooden coffee stirrers!!

Participant

The Gyphon is a ship worthy of a hero like Conan, it looks marvelous!

I’m looking forward to the salty dogs that will toil under the illustrious captain and also the smaller boats even if these two will be hard to outshine 😉

Participant

I needed a break from painting the red brotherhood pirates ( I’ll post them soon ) so I decided to tackle some monsters

The first mini is from Alternative Armies  japanese Sengoku range. It’s an oni a kind of japanese orc/ogre but when I saw it I immediately thought “Efreeti”

A bit of filework changed his sword to a big scimitar and softened down the hard edges of his trousers making him look a bit less samurai and a little more 1001 nights but don’t take my word for it here’s a pic

The other figures are a true Conan classic, “Grey Apes”

Also from Alternative Armies these just required a paintjob to take them from gorilla to their Hyborian counterparts.

Sadly there was only one pose so they all look more or less the same

That’s it for now, pirates to follow soon…

Cheers,

Stroezie.

I totes want to do grey apes but not sure I can get them into my desert setting?

Could you bend the arms down a bit, or maybe hack one off and reset in a totally different pose?

Participant

Well I had considered it but then I discovered these

from Blue Moon and I’ll probably cave in at some point and buy them too so why bother

Participant

The efreet came out nicely, feels very 1001 nights I think!

Participant

They all look great, Stroezie. As for the apes, I couldn’t agree more regarding the Blue Moon – they’re about perfect representations for a classic RE Howard creature. If you succumb, be sure to post pics!

Participant

As promised “Pirates!”

The minis are a mix of Mini figs from Caliver Books and Barbary corsairs from Capitan games.

getting a bit crowded on deck 

A more colorfull collection of scum and villainry was never seen

There’s a few small conversions in there as I had to remove/cover up some guns on the occasional mini. Nothing mayor, the crossbow men were actually holding muskets and the shields are covering the remains of pistols that sort of thing. All in all I’m happy with how they came out.

I also painted these as possible charracters but I don’t know if I’ll use them for CROM as I’m not totally convinced that they fit the overal style.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Cool, I will have to go and check out those ranges!
    I especially like the look of the few at the top left.

Participant

You pirates look great – scum and villainy indeed! As for the figs in the last photo, not sure the three to the left shout Conan to me; but the chap on the right does! Excellent work all round.

Participant

I still have 1 of almost each pose left, I could have a look when I get home from work (01:00 tonight).
    I’ll let you know tomorrow.

Participant

Wow those ships are amazing!!!  Incredible job, and the pirates aren’t half bad either.  I think I have some reading to do…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Some dastardly pirates you have there, nice work!

I’m sure Conan could take them all on, if he can just find some space on the deck 😉

Participant

Finished To’mas of clan Selec, my “Manly” barbarian

Glorious mustache, big hairy manly chest and a fur speedo he’s going to be a real lady killer if you ask me.

For those of you wondering, I did this mini in response to a few remarks over in the Conan-what inspires you thread about the difference in how we imagine Conan and how he is portrayed in the books.( ie. with a big hairy chest, the lip warmer was a bit of frivolity  on my part.)

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

I love him. So much so, I might have to steal your idea in 28mm. Might steal the name too!  Did they have floral shirts and shorty shorts in Hyboria, I wonder. Maybe they’re his weekend wear?

Keymaster

Does he have a red chariot?  😀

Participant

Love that idea, obviously Mike is right though, To’mas needs a red chariot 😉

Participant

Doh, a chariot!

And here I was trying to come up with an excuse to paint his horse red.

Hmm, I’ll have to do some shopping around now….

cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

Stroezie, not sure if you are still looking for Grey Apes, but Khurasan has some hot off the press:

http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmfantasy.html

Hmmm, that’s another from the 15mm “want list” covered. Now, if we could just get some Red Box style evil barbarians…

Participant

Time for some more classic Conan

A crypt with guardians and the mouldering bones of previous adventurers      (all from Alternative Armies)

This fine looking gentleman from the Barbary Corsairs pack from Capitan Games, I think he’s meant to be the captain of the corsairs but well see…

And last, that staple of every good Conan story, a giant snake ( to my shame I can’t seem to remember where he came from)

I like the fact that he’s big but not to big.

That’s it for now but I’ve just recieved my CROM-funder mini’s and terrain so stay tuned for more soon(ish).

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Love that pirate captain type dude, very ace model!

ooooh snake, red next to black, poison I lack.   😀
    It is a very cool snake, and as you say, a good size.

Talking of sizes, are those deader than normal skeletons (the ones on the ground) 15mm?

Participant

Pic > 1000 words

They work pretty well imo (although they would have big bloated heads in the flesh so to speak )

The chap on the throne is probably more accurately sized but he looks a bit small.

Participant

Ok, so now that we’ve finished painting the ceilings in the kitchen, living room,dining room and hobby room it’s time to take a break and get back to…

painting miniatures of course !

Here’s the first two figures from the Cromfunder the Shaman and Tribal leader

They were painted to go with my Copplestone Picts which I did many moons ago and who had been sadly lacking in leadership ever since

For those of you wondering how well they go together, here’s a pic

Now I just need to paint the Shaman’s magic circle/ standing stone terrain piece and then I think it’s high time for Conan to go on a little rescue mission…

All of the cool.
    Nice to see that they do indeed fit well with the range.

Looking forward to the game report too.

😉

Participant

Wow, so much to look at.  I particularly love the boats, quite a lot of engineering.

I’ve just discovered alternative armies miniatures, I have to be careful though, my fantasy is 10mm and I’m not reinvesting in another scale!

I bought a bunch of the 15mm Japanese mythological characters after watching the movie KUBO.  I haven’t done much with them since. 🙁

Participant

Another small painting progress report.

The shaman’s shrine.

Hmm, may have to put some verdigris on that ring and darken those eye sockets on the skull.

And the Priestes and her acolites

I’ve been trying to get Jagannath’s layering technique down, not quite there yet.

In my defence, they look a lot more uniform at tabletop distance, maybe I’ll put on a very light blue glaze to try and bring the different layers together more.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Participant

They look elemental.

I suggest thinning down the light colors, you might need to paint the same raised part 4-7 times but it’ll be worth it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.