Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi LaserStorm 2nd edition is available

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Long time readers will remember my 6mm wargame rules for scifi gaming. Well, since little soldiers are big now, we are excited to announce LaserStorm 2nd edition. This has been updated by Jason (who also did the Clash on the Fringe update) and features lavish minis photos, full colour diagrams and is just overall a stunning package now.

For the new, the rules are inspired by Space Marine 2nd edition/Titan Legions but with a focus on keeping the amount of markers and tracking to a minimum. Combat uses a similar “roll to hit, roll to save” mechanic but different sizes of units use different dice totals to save.

The cleverest bit is morale. Instead of units sitting around, they are removed from play when they break. When they rally they are then brought back as reinforcements near a HQ unit. THis creates a really cool ebb and flow in the game.

The book also includes map based campaign rules, a scenario generator, ready to play units and 2 different build systems (depending on whether you want to pick hulls and weapons or design the stats from scratch).

The new edition also includes solo tools and air units, as well as some general tweaks and overhauls.

As is the general policy for the “new wave” of NWG games, we are going to follow up roughly monthly with any errata, corrections as well as adjustments of things like points costs. Basically you will never have a pile of errata printed out, instead the book will always be the most up to date version.
    I am hoping to also do some scenario packs in the future as well.

You can take a look at Jason has been busy at work updating LaserStorm to a 2nd edition, similar to the work he did on Clash on the Fringe revised edition. That means not only adding new features like solo tools and air units, but also a full colour rulebook with diagrams and lavish miniatures photography.

If you are not familiar with LaserStorm, it is a set of combat rules for 6mm (as well as related scales) science fiction ground combat, allowing huge armies to be put on the table. Included are build systems (two of them in fact), a scenario generator, map based campaign rules and a host of ready to play units that can be used as is.

The rules are available at https://www.wargamevault.com/product/476399/LaserStorm-2nd-edition
    and please feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Participant

I liked Laserstorm a lot, but felt it needed a little more finesse, and the grouping rule always seemed a little arbitrary to me although I got why you did it. I’ll be very interested to see what you’ve done with the second edition – adding air support is a key improvement I see! I like me some air strikes.

Weirdly, 6mm games of the current crop seem to lead to games where blocks of tanks move around fender to fender, which strikes me as bizarre and very gamey. If LS2E avoids this it’ll be a winner in my book.

Participant

Yeah the groupings were basically just to keep the card deck short and it sort of maps to military formations. You can use a larger deck if desired. The main benefit of having multiple units on one card is that it allows for a bit more combined arms shenanigans

Participant

It reminds me of Epic 3rd Edition, where you built little forces and linked them together. It’s not bad if you work it out as a rational part of the design. I can actually imagine some little “force cards” to keep battle groups together. The arbitrary “three parts” led to odd setups when I did asymmetrical battles, though. One side could swarm another unreasonably.

Participant

Well I picked up my copy and just for starters it’s much clearer and visually better assembled than the first edition, a real step up in quality. Also at a glance it seems to do a whole lot that I want my current 3mm scale game to do, including the campaign rules, which look great. All around a very nice edition!

Participant

Thank you for the support and I am glad you are liking it.

On the parking lot of tanks, I think its something that tends to occur unless you specifically have some sort of spill-over damage rule. Worth musing on though.

Participant

Well my solution to it is to bump up the operational level, so that each basic unit is a troop or platoon, so that when you put them all together in the parking lot they represent a unit like a company on the tabletop.  Visually at least it makes more sense than having your six M1 Battle Tanks scraping bumpers while they squeeze down an alleyway.

Participant

On the parking lot of tanks, I think its something that tends to occur unless you specifically have some sort of spill-over damage rule. Worth musing on though.

Hit them with blast template weapons and that should break them up real quick!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Do large scenic bases for all your vehicles 🙂

Participant

To wit, pre-parking lotted tanks:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.