Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Crom’s Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,391 total)
  • Author

Yup, single piece mould, flat bottomed item.

Hmm… so something primitive and tribal-looking, that’s suitable to cast as a single-piece flat-bottomed resin item (i.e. nothing dainty and nothing with much undercut, which also rules out most expert-level sculpting), and isn’t a standing stone. That doesn’t leave much, to be honest.

A hut, maybe, but you’ve already made huts.

An idol crudely carved from stone or built up from smaller stones, clay and/or other materials like wood, furs and tusks. There’s quite a lot of statues and idols available from elsewhere already I think, but that needn’t mean there isn’t still a market for more.

An altar, decorative but in a primitive way.

A primitive “throne”, raised on a mound of stones or some equally primitive wooden construction.

That’s about the extent of what I can think of. Perhaps consider returning to the standing stone idea, but make it convey a more exotic culture somehow, with suitable carvings or embellishments.

Good suggestions, kind of like where I was going.
    I may delay it a bit as I have some 15mm skulls I want to put in a mould, and I am going to sell the skulls in packs of 10.
    If I delay it, I can use the skulls in the master mould and maybe adorn something with them.

I am also planning out the shamans hut.
    It will be a bit different to the others.

OOOOOOOOH just thought of how to do the stone!
    What about one like the one in Indiana Jones And The Temple of Doom, the one that holds the Ankahara stones?
    So some sort of standing stone with inscriptions that has a ledge/cavity where the Shaman keeps his special stuff?

Participant

I think you have a winner there AB. Would be cool for scenario’s where the heroes have to steal / destroy the shamans magic thingamabob.

Also +1 on some kind of crude throne /platform for the chief.

A pack of 15mm skulls sounds like a useful product, too. I was afraid to mention skulls because, you know, skulls are “skullz”, but their usefulness in most fantasy gaming is quite obvious.

I thought about suggesting as a terrain item the skull of some giant animal, such as a giant snake or ape, or some other vertebrate conducive to swords-and-sorcery, but I figured that fell under the category of “dainty expert sculpting” that might not suit resin terrain casting.

Also +1 on some kind of crude throne /platform for the chief.

Of my own ideas, this is my favourite, too.

Yeah, it could be some sort of other platform without an actual throne, as well.

Yeah skulls are a bit cliché but they really do have a place in fantasy games.

I will be posting this to the casters tomorrow, with a bit of luck a couple of weeks and they will be ready.

I like the sound of that indiana jones style, maybe combined with some of the ideas you see with a Beastman herdstone (y’know – trophies scattered around the bottom). Can’t wait for the tribesmen!

Participant

That looks great, and the Indy idea sounds very cool!

So the new figures are a merchant and his bodyguard:

Participant

Lovely sculpts again.  I’m looking forward to getting some of these guys.

I like those alot!

So… I may have missed it earlier in this thread, but is this to be a progressively growing range or have you already decided on a set selection of figures to release over a set timeframe and then leave it at that (rather like Copplestone’s own approach to releasing figures)?

Depends on how sales go, the first few figures are not close to breaking even yet which is a shame.
    Maybe a few extra figures to pad out the range will help encourage figure sales?

If these don’t do well then that could be it for a good while.

Participant

AB, all these offerings look amazing. Really. I’m loving the figures, the buildings, the skulls…and I’m not a 15mm gamer at all. It’s all strangely tempting. I hope very much you start making some profit off these, if only to continue to watch your progress.

Do you have any plans to continue your CROM! walk-throughs? Those were great.

AB, all these offerings look amazing. Really. I’m loving the figures, the buildings, the skulls…and I’m not a 15mm gamer at all. It’s all strangely tempting. I hope very much you start making some profit off these, if only to continue to watch your progress. Do you have any plans to continue your CROM! walk-throughs? Those were great.

yes, just trying find the time, it is a full 12 hours work doing one of those…

The buildings make profit after a couple of sales, it is the figures that don’t…

Keymaster

Quick question… As I am currently commission free on the painting side, I am painting up stuff to sell.
    I have some 15mm sci-fi civilians done, but any interest in a few 15mm desert style figures all ready painted and based?

Depends on how sales go, the first few figures are not close to breaking even yet which is a shame. Maybe a few extra figures to pad out the range will help encourage figure sales? If these don’t do well then that could be it for a good while.

Well, I can’t be greedy. The Copplestone figures and the “deliberately compatible” figures from Crom’s Anvil and Splintered Light are enough for a self-contained project, perhaps with a few monsters from elsewhere. I might look into converting existing figures to make the additional characters, fighters and civilians that, to me subjectively, would make the project “perfect”.

What would make it perfect?
    There are a million things I want to do.

Ghouls.
    Demon things made of sand in human form.
    Big ass Apes.
    Deathdealer dude.
    Some sort of thief/archer/dinner for wolf dude.
    etc..

Participant

Some reasonably sensibly-clad and proportioned female adventurers and personalities would be great.  I can find most of the male figures I need in historical ranges but the current options for females for RPGs aren’t that great.

And there really aren’t many non-cartoony animals out there.  I currently plunder the old Airfix zoo sets for lions, tigers and crocodiles.

Embracing the vision of a Hyborian Age project that merges the style of the 1982 movie with the style of the original REH stories (and faithful illustrations thereof), perhaps also with elements of the various other Conan and Kull adaptations (especially the comics), here’s my unrealistically long list of priorities:

1. Tough “half-barbaric” warriors with over-the-top wargear, strongly inspired by Rexor and Thorgrim, Osric’s guards, and the armour worn by Conan and dinner for wolf in the final fight of the movie. These would differ from the Copplestone barbarians in that they’d be much more kitted-out. I’d be aiming for at least three of them in different poses.
    2. Some ragged, unarmoured fighters with so-so weaponry. Average build (i.e. not rippling with muscles), looking more-or-less like they hail from “civilisation” as opposed to a barbarian or savage culture, and with a hungry look in their eyes. These would serve variably as pirates, bandits, rogues, street thugs, escaped slaves, cultists, thuggee-type assassins, angry/desperate/ensorcelled townsfolk and sailors/caravaneers taking up arms against raiders. I’d want quite a few of these in different poses including both melee fighters and archers (at least three of each, and that’s lowballing), which makes the procuring of them a particular obstacle. I don’t want to use figures that don’t mix well with Copplestone. Even assuming they shouldn’t be quite as tall as the fantasy barbarians, I fear that most historical 15mm figures are a tad too small. Besides, I don’t know that I’ll find historical figures with the right look.
    3. A few more adventurer-characters. These would include dinner for wolf (definitely with a bow), some female warrior/thief (maybe Valeria, maybe Red Sonja, maybe Bêlit, maybe someone else) and a decrepit hermit-wizard. Perhaps additionally one or two pit fighters inspired by the ones from early in the movie. And I do rather want Thulsa Doom as well.
    4. Wicked-looking winged humanoids of some sort, either like the ones from the first issue of the 1970 Marvel Conan comic, or like the bat-ape from Queen of the Black Coast. Perhaps three or four in different poses.
    5. A few “character” monsters, including a human-headed snake, an ape wearing a cloak and an impossibly large/tall (but not nearly so large as to be 28mm) half-naked male human or “almost-human” who could be either Khosatral Khel or one of the Black Ones.
    6. Sundry additional civilians, mainly characterful ones, like for instance, a Byzantine-looking nobleman (who’s probably a spy – I’d also make him handsome so he can be a male equivalent of a damsel in distress), a beggar/vagabond/lotus-dealer, a fat slob and, for some reason, that one black blacksmith that appears for like three seconds in one of the montage sequences in the movie.
    7. Hyrkanians. Looking like they do in the movie.
    8. Noble-looking Black Kingdoms barbarians, like a sub-Saharan African counterpart to Cimmerians. Maybe styled after Maasai, Turkana, Zulus or what-have-you, but looking every bit as fantasy as the Copplestone barbarians do.

Here is a start on the shamans piece.
    It is a stone with a hollow for a skull.
    Some stone markers for the summoning circle and will have some bones and other bits and bobs when done.

Is that cork you’ve carved it from? I’m intrigued.

Tis.
    I am going to carefully slice off a few bobbly bits then give it a pva coating, maybe some liquid green stuff and I reckon that will seal it and keep the sort of layers that the cork has.
    Kind of like stratum..

Cool! I’ll need to experiment with cork myself, some day.

By the way, too late now, but another terrain suggestion would have been a Pit Of Yog from the video game Conan Exiles. Essentially a big, raised, walled firepit with crude stairs. I presume for cooking long pig. Maybe an idea worth remembering for later.

I really don’t know why I find watching Conan Exiles gameplay on Youtube comforting. It’s a silly, silly game that doesn’t do the Hyborian mythos justice at all, but it’s decent enough for terrain inspiration and suchlike.

the video game Conan Exiles.

I am awaiting the console version proper release.

Participant

I admit to having no right contributing to this discussion – as the chances that I’ll pursue this in 15mm are pretty remote – but something that seems to be lacking in the smaller scale, and that keeps me from seriously considering it, is, for lack of a better term, the “evil barbarian” type. The type I mean tend to have horned helmets (naturally), obscured faces (of course), lots of fur and studs (same) and the attitude that seems to say “trifle with us and you’ll regret it;” the sort that used to be sold as “Chaos Warriors.” This might be what Rhoderic means by #1 in his excellent wish list above.

An example of the type I mean is made by Red Box in 28mm with the HelsVakt Hordesmen: http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=227  To my mind they make the perfect foes for Conan and his friends.  Again, no right to say it, but just a thought.

AB: No pressure on the CROM! reports, btw. Just a fan is all. And lordy, if they took me 12 hours or so I wouldn’t get to them much either!

The type I mean tend to have horned helmets (naturally), obscured faces (of course), lots of fur and studs (same) and the attitude that seems to say “trifle with us and you’ll regret it;” the sort that used to be sold as “Chaos Warriors.” This might be what Rhoderic means by #1 in his excellent wish list above.

Deathdealers in my list.
    Yeah, about an hour to unpack the stuff, set up and put away.
    Two to three hours to play, this includes notes and many many photos that need to be checked before starting the next turn.
    An hour or so to write it up in a way that makes a bit of sense.
    Two to three hours of sifting through the scores of photos and then editing the background out.
    Then uploading all the photos to here and typing out the report.
    Then adding the links/images to the CA website.
    Then waiting for nice comments!

hmmmm maybe only 8 hours, feels like 12 though!

😀

I admit to having no right contributing to this discussion – as the chances that I’ll pursue this in 15mm are pretty remote – but something that seems to be lacking in the smaller scale, and that keeps me from seriously considering it, is, for lack of a better term, the “evil barbarian” type. The type I mean tend to have horned helmets (naturally), obscured faces (of course), lots of fur and studs (same) and the attitude that seems to say “trifle with us and you’ll regret it;” the sort that used to be sold as “Chaos Warriors.” This might be what Rhoderic means by #1 in his excellent wish list above. An example of the type I mean is made by Red Box in 28mm with the HelsVakt Hordesmen: http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=227 To my mind they make the perfect foes for Conan and his friends.

Yes, I do write excellent things, don’t I? 

I’d say your visual corresponds quite well with mine. Definitely furs and studs and horns and stuff. I didn’t think as far as obscured faces but now you say it, Crom wills it (or Badb, or Nemain, or whichever god evil barbarians would worship). I’d say the only difference is that in my visual they would definitely be well-armoured, whereas in yours (if I read it correctly) they might or might not. In my visual, they’ve slaughtered their way to a position where they get all the best wargear, but far from becoming “knights”, they continue to value a deliberately barbaric, borderline monstrous appearance. Rexor and Thorgrim from the 1982 movie are really the main thing I’m getting at. Surely they were a major source of inspiration for Chaos Warriors, as well.

I didn’t think of it, but Death Dealer corresponds very well with my visual, too. As it happens I just received a new 32mm Death Dealer from David Soderquist of Bronze Age Miniatures last week, he included it for free with an order and it’s not even the first free Death Dealer he’s sent me. Man loves his Death Dealers 

Participant

AB,  Unfortunately, the little bit of fantasy stuff that I do is 28mm, but your sculpts are wonderful.

Participant

Yes, I do write excellent things, don’t I?

You do. I enjoy your posts immensely, so keep ’em coming!

My vision is definitely with more bare skin (never a bad thing in Hyborian-fueled projects), straight-out-of-the-frozen-Northland kind of idea, but your chaps look great as well. And as you are a paying customer I’d say your vote should be given more weight. I’ll tell you, though, all these offerings are getting rather tempting; brain is fizzing; resolve crumbling…

I shall watch future developments with great interest!

And as you are a paying customer

Of Crom’s Anvil, not yet, but I shall be.

A while back I rambled about a giant fire bowl thing to go on top of the Shrine to Apis.

Well I have finally moulded it and done a test cast.
    It comes as 2 pieces, the bowl and the flames:

Clearly it will look betterer once painted.

I have also finished the Mould Funder exclusive Shamans Circle that will be available via the crowdfunder only, again will look nicer once painted:

Fire Bowl will be on the site in a few days, the Shamans Circle as noted, will be available as a pledge level on my Mould Funder.

Participant

Both pieces look nice, a good addition to most collections really 🙂

I’m impressed with the flame, in my mind that would be very hard to sculpt!

So… genuine honest sensible suggestions please. What do you want me to make next scenery wise? Something you actually need or want, rather than some huge ass impractical but cool monstrosity.

I’m a month tardy in replying to this, but I’ll go ahead and suggest a modular set of stone platforms, stepped “mini-pyramids” (or “mini-ziggurats” if you will) and interconnecting raised stone walkways, for making a small temple complex of sorts. Now, to be clear, I’m not talking about “huge ass impractical monstrosities”, but something much more… cozy and compact, consisting of a small number of pieces (suitable to buy and combine in multiples) where no piece would be bigger than the buildings you’re already producing, and some would be much smaller.

I’m drawing on three sources of inspiration for this suggestion. The first is Ali Dogan Sayiner’s charming little temple pieces, which demonstrate wonderfully what a great effect can be achieved while keeping the individual pieces very compact. It not only looks evocative, it’s also a perfect little “playground” for 15mm skirmish/adventure gaming.

The second source of inspiration is the 28mm range of Maya/Aztec pyramid pieces from Stonehouse Miniatures. These are bigger than what I’m envisioning, but there are some good ideas in there. Especially, the modular raised walkways for connecting platforms and pyramids to each other are a great idea, not least for skirmish gaming purposes. Here (scroll down) is a great example I found of the pieces in use. Imagine those walkways in smaller, narrower, more easily cast versions, to go with the smaller size of platforms/pyramids I’m suggesting. Stonehouse also has some great little shrines, statues and other decorations for topping their pyramids. One or two pieces like that but in fantasy, non-Maya/Aztec versions could bring the whole visual effect of a temple complex together nicely.

My third source of inspiration is some of the Minecraft-style base-building with modular pieces I’ve seen in Youtube videos of Conan Exiles gameplay, but I have no particular examples to link to.

Also keep in mind that while the photos I’ve linked to are all of jungle settings, this kind of temple would be just as suitable in fantasy desert environments, or for that matter in fantasy temperate environments (even Frostgrave, if anyone is gaming that in 15mm). And as Ali Dogan Sayiner’s photo demonstrates, archaic temples of this sort would also suit many 15mm sci-fi gamers (wouldn’t they be right at home in Star Wars, Star Trek, 40K, Traveller, AvP, etc.?).

I’d imagine the list of pieces to be something like this:

• Large platform, a bit larger in terms of footprint than the “Large House” in your Simurgh range, but lower, perhaps approximately 20-25mm high. With slightly inward-sloping sides.
    • Small platform, for placing on top of the large one to make a rudimentary stepped pyramid/ziggurat, or for using separately as an ancillary platform. It would have to be small enough that when placed on the large platform it leaves enough space for figures to stand around it, but still large enough that some action can happen on top of it. So maybe approximately the same footprint as your “Medium House” or slightly smaller. It would be the same height as the large platform. Same angle of inward-sloping sides also.
    • Short raised walkway “connector” piece, with one end that’s perpendicular to the ground and the other end outward-leaning so that it meets the angle of the platform sides. The walkways would be perhaps wide enough for two 15mm figures on sensible bases to stand side-by-side on them, no wider. They’d be the same height as the platforms.
    • Longer raised walkway piece, with both ends perpendicular to the ground.
    • Stairs, made to butt up against the angle of the platform sides. Probably best to keep them quite steep, so they don’t take up too much space when accompanying the smaller platform as it’s placed on top of the larger one.
    • A small, decorative shrine for placing on top of platforms/pyramids as a focal point. It would have to be small enough to leave space for figures to stand on top of the smaller platform.
    • A pack of statues or carved stelae, for further decorating tops of platforms. Identical or differentiated depending on how much effort would go into sculpting them. Four per pack might be best, one for each corner of a platform (assuming four-sided platforms).

Alternatively, the stairs could be built into the platforms so they’re not jutting out, so there’ll be one fewer piece to have to cast. The statues/stelae would not be critical, either.

There are two complications I see with this whole idea. The first is that you might have to work with complex angles unless you make the platform sides perpendicular to the ground. The second is that it would probably be unwise to model the pieces with irregular-looking stonework as that would make for telltale repeating patterns (which are an eyesore) when the same piece is used in multiples. So, regular square/rectangular (or otherwise geometric) stonework would be wise.

Sorry for the long post. Got a bit carried away with this idea 

😀

So the Shaman’s piece is done.
    Now for the Merchants piece.
    I was thinking a selection of rugs/mats etc.

But any ideas will be good to hear as the masters are being cast today which means I should have samples quite soon and as such be ready to launch the mould funder!!

Participant

Is there going to be one shapely rug with a pair of dainty slippers sticking out the bottom amongst them? 

Is there going to be one shapely rug with a pair of dainty slippers sticking out the bottom amongst them?

there is now!

Participant

What about a throne room/court?  Could even be used as an interior to the temple.  Crom heroes would surely be called before the local high-muck-muck for either adulation, prosecution, or general ogling.  Or maybe it could function as a good target for a midnight robbery…

Earlier you were talking about a bazaar kind of thing, you could do a colonnaded walkway that could function as a bazaar, but then put 4 together to make a courtyard kind of thing with a fancy fountain in the middle, could be part of a rich family house or school or monkery.

Since it’s October, why not a cemetery?  Can do various mausoleums, plinths, sarcophagi, grave slabs, etc.

And don’t forget that granary…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

I have added a project page to the website:

project

Fire Bowl is done, will be on the site on Monday.

The Mould Funder Shamans Circle is also painted:

Participant

What a little fire doesn’t do to make that little shrine look al warm and cosy like doesn’t it? 

They both look cracking!

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.